CanSupport has set up an Internal Ethics Committee under the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) Guidelines for reviewing research proposals in palliative care.
The underlying goals of this Internal Ethics Committee are:
- to protect the dignity, rights and well being of potential research participants;
- to promote shared decision making between patients (or their caregivers if decisionally incapacitated) and their clinicians;
- to promote fair policies and procedures that maximize the likelihood of achieving good, patient-centred outcomes; and
- to assist in the development and education of a research community responsive to local health care requirements.
CanSupport undertakes research studies of its own and presents them at various forums. A few research paper publications authored by CanSupport members are:
- Delivering Palliative Care the CanSupport Way
- Can curative or life-sustaining treatment be withheld or withdrawn? The opinions and views of Indian palliative-care nurses and physicians
- The Attitudes of Indian Palliative-care Nurses and Physicians to Pain Control and Palliative Sedation
- Report from a symposium on catalyzing primary and secondary prevention of cancer in India
- Creation of Minimum Standard Tool for Palliative Care in India and Self-evaluation of Palliative Care Programs Using It
- How basic is palliative care? A response to the responses so far
- How basic is palliative care?